Even So, It Is Well



This is a look back.

             

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,

When sorrows like sea billows roll;

Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,

It is well, it is well with my soul.


Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,

Let this blest assurance control,

That Christ hath regarded my helpless estate,

And hath shed His own blood for my soul.


My sin—oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!—

My sin, not in part but the whole,

Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,

Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!


And Lord, haste the day when the faith shall be sight,

The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;

The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,

Even so, it is well with my soul.



One of my favorite memories so far at Cedarville University is singing It is Well With My Soul and How Great Thou Art in chapel. We didn't sing either of these songs often, but when we did, I left chapel with goosebumps and a smile. There is just something about the entire student body singing louder than ever these well known words.

My life hasn't been easy or simple. There were many seasons of hurt and chaos, but I tried to make myself see the grace that God was still pouring into my life. Sometimes I had to seemingly force my eyes to see God's goodness and lips to speak his praise. And looking back now, I can absolutely see his abundant love, even when I felt incredible pain.

I love this song. Every line is filled with truth, emphasizing that despite the hurt of life and the devastation of my own sin, Christ has saved my wretched soul. The song focuses us to see that when looking for the little signs of grace to remind us of God's presence in our life, we have to remember the greatest demonstration of His love--Christ dying in our place.

The first verse ends with the line most of us know, "It is well, it is well with my soul." It's sort of like saying, "I'm okay. My heart hurts, but it's okay." Then the third verse intensifies and ends with, "Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!" It's essentially commanding yourself to worship because God is so worthy of it.

But, being well in your soul has nothing to do with some inner strength that you find within yourself. It has nothing to do with anything you do on your own at all. Being well in your soul is entirely about what God has done to save our souls--and that is a truly blissful thought.

//Alyson Jennie

Comments

Popular Posts