Where My Loyalties Lie, as a Woman in this World

My goal in this post is not to make definitive statements about the current events that provide the context for my own thoughts here. Mainly, I’m looking at the response of others to this event, specifically the response of women to the Ford’s testimony against Kavanaugh. Consider this post my response to a reaction. 


Social media has painted this picture of women from all walks of life, from all statuses rallying around Dr. Ford, proclaiming their unwavering belief in her testimony against Kavanaugh. Some of the marks of this picture are the presence of hashtags such as #ibelieveher and #believewomen on social media. I’m told that Ford’s boldness to stand is vital to society because she is not only standing for herself, but for all women. I’m told that Kavanaugh should withdraw his nomination as an act of support for all women—this idea coming from the lips of women. I’m told that if women don’t believe Ford’s story, then other women will not be empowered to stand up against their own oppression. 


There are several reasons why this picture rubs me the wrong way, but I’ll focus on just one. 


There is this assumption that because I am a woman, I will believe Ford. Social media presents a picture that assumes that I will believe another woman’s word over that of a man’s word simply because I am a woman myself. Because I’m a woman, I’m supposedly included in this image where women have a loyalty for their own kind, an obligation to have each other’s backs, regardless of the circumstances. 


But, because of what I believe about truth and my identity, I cannot support these assumptions nor fulfill these cultural obligations.


Because of my identity as one redeemed by the blood of Christ and adopted into God’s family, my loyalty to all other labels is secondary. My identity as a child of God demands I seek the things of God first. This necessarily impacts how I’m going to respond to these types of situations like this current event. My goal is not to support women—an unpopular opinion, I know. I don’t measure the success of my day by looking at the ways I’ve empowered women. I work a lot with women and spend a great deal of time pouring into them, encouraging them.  But my life’s goal is to live in accordance with my identity in Christ. All else is secondary. A vital implication of that goal is  that I will also pursue truth. 


Furthermore, what I believe about God means that truth exists outside our own claims. My saying something is true or a lie has no bearing if that thing is in fact true. Lies are wrong whether spoken by men or woman. And there is nothing inherent in simply being a man or woman that makes them more truthful than the other. 


I don’t have to look past myself to see the capabilities of women to create destruction with lies and deception. Lies are destructive. Deception is oppressive. And I believe both men and women are capable of this. 


So when I see these current events, and I see culture assuming the side I will/should fall on in a way that belittles my convictions about my identity and the existence of truth, I’m saddened. I’m always going to strive to act according to my standing with Christ first. I’m always going to strive to seek truth before aligning myself with societal alliances.  And, no one is going to convince me that this is a bad thing. 


This discussion has made me consider how I want to raise a future daughter. I want to raise my daughter to love God first and hold truth above all else. I want to raise a daughter who is intelligent, bold, confident, who is equipped to strongly fulfill the roles that God has established for her. I want her to know that someone believing you or not has absolutely no bearing on what is true. It doesn’t matter if no one believes you if you speak truth; speak truth anyway. But if you lie, and everyone believes you, it’s still a lie. Speak truth, always, no matter what.


And, I pray I can model this type of woman. 

//Alyson Jennie

Comments

  1. AWESOME! The words of a true saint of God, the Craftsmanship of the Holy Spirit of Christ in you, the hope of GLORY. Well spoken!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts