Never Underestimate the Power of a Mom.



This is a look back.



When I was a camp counselor, there was a set of twin girls who came. The girls stayed in different cabins, and one was in mine. The girls had beautiful thick, long, biracial hair that had to be brushed and put into one large braid each day. I had some experience with biracial hair, as two of my brothers are mixed. I enjoyed taking the time to brush the young girl’s hair and talk through what she was learning at camp and learn more about her story. For time’s sake, this meant that sometimes I brushed her hair on the dining hall porch while we waited for breakfast.



The other counselor who had my girl’s twin approached me one day and expressed her frustration that she needed to help her camper, that she didn’t like having to spend so much time just brushing hair. Her thought made sense, as she considered the child old enough to go to camp, yet not able to braid her own hair.



But, there is no such thing is “just brushing a girl’s hair.”



I could not help but consider the influence my mother had on my life by just doing mom things. We discussed things of weight as she drove me to a soccer game, as we shopped for groceries, as we ate dinner as a family, as she brushed my hair.



In fact, my personal decision to put my faith in the work of Jesus Christ occurred after a gospel conversation with my mother as she combed out the knots in my hair before bed. We had the most important conversation of my life, as my mom simply did what mothers do.



The language I’ve used may perhaps lead to a lesser view of motherhood, a simplifying of what it means to practically do mom things. But in reality, I hope to raise being a mother to a higher place.



When done with gospel intention, there is no such thing as simply brushing a child’s hair or just being a mother.



Consider all the things that moms do. I cannot think of a task more foundational, more overwhelming influential, than the task of motherhood. Imagine if a mom had a goal for her children that she would leverage all her actions towards. Consider the power of a diligent, loving mother who is sold out for their children. My mom was dedicated to raising lovers of Jesus, raising theologians, and I can see how this was a daily, task by task job. Culture too often misses the power of a mother’s actions and influence in the lives of her children. There is no small task in motherhood, and motherhood is never a small task.



Never underestimate the power of a mom.



//Alyson Jennie


Comments

Popular Posts